CARING FOR YOUR NEW LAWN
There are many ways to achieve a nice lawn including laying new sod, hydroseeding, hand seeding, and more.
Our preference is laying new sod but we understand that it is outside the budget of a lot of people.
While there are other hydroseed companies, we proudly refer our customers to Elliott Environmental based in Sandpoint Idaho. Please feel free to do your own research and make an educated decision on who you would like to use after we handle the dirt work and irrigation for you.
Regardless of who you use for hydroseeding we have found certain procedures that work the best.
1. New seed needs to be kept damp all the time until it is established.
2. You absolutely will have weeds in your new lawn. All dirt in North Idaho will have weed seed in it and there is no way around this. A lot of hydroseed companies use weed free seed so that they do not introduce new weeds into your lawn.
3. Your lawn will need a broad leaf treatment after at least 4 cuttings.
4. You will have spots where the grass does not grow in as thick as the rest. This is normal and multiple cuttings will help the grass to spread and fill in.
5. The first year of hydroseeding is getting the seed established and the second is working on making it thicker to help keep the weeds out.
6. The less traffic that is on the seed the better. Once established the root system will help to firm up the soil to handle normal traffic.
7. Please know that while we may provide contact information for hydroseeding companies ultimately they are the people that are doing the work for you and all warranty issues need to be addressed directly with them.
8. Hiring a professional lawn care company to maintain your new lawn can mean the difference between an amazing lawn and one that needs a lot of work. A professional lawn care company will have the experience to know what height to cut the grass at, when to fertilize, when to overseed and more. They should also be able to adjust your sprinkler heads and repair anything that needs it.